Wednesday, June 9, 2010

GAME Plan Survey

As I continue on my journey to improve my skills using the SMART Board that I have had recently installed in my classroom I decided to tap into the knowledge and opinions of the students before they were gone for the summer. After they finished their final exams I had them complete a short survey to help me to get an idea of where they are at when it comes to the board. What I learned from the survey is that the students in general really like using the board. They admit to being reluctant at first but that when they do not have a choice, they usually end up enjoying the experience they had as they used the board. They particularly liked using it in ways that had them competing against other individuals or teams because they felt like it helped them forget that they were in school (at this time of the year they will openly admit that they would rather not be in school). It would not necessarily require the interactive technology, but the kids really liked playing games in which they drew pictures to try and get others to guess what concept or vocabulary term that they are trying to depict. Not only do they have fun with this, but it also then provides a visual image that the students can use to correlate with the term in their minds for future recollection. As the school year comes to a close and my little cherubs embark upon their summer vacations, I look forward to some down time followed by some relaxed exploration of how I can use the board better with the next group of students that I will have next year.

3 comments:

  1. Mark,

    It sounds like you and I chose similar goals for our GAME plans. I too am working to use my ACTIVboard more effectively in the classroom. My students loved to use the board this past year, but I hated having to always maneuver it and the computer/projector cart. However, this year my board will be mounted so that will cut down on some of the issue of having to constantly move it. I like your way of incorporating the board into vocabulary review. I might try that next year in my class. Good luck in finding resources. Although you have a SMART board, you might try looking at Promethean's web site http://www.prometheanplanet.com/en-us/index.aspx to get some ideas about using your board in the classroom.

    Jennifer M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark - I find my students love those drawing type games as well. I have a set of class whiteboards (tileboard from Lowe's cut into 12 inch squares) that I use when I don't have the Smartboard to use in my classroom. Same concept, though admittedly less high-tech. The students love it though.

    I also wanted to comment how great it is that you gave your students a chance to share with you their suggestions via the survey. Reflection is such an important part of our profession and it sounds like you got some great feedback to use in planning for next year.

    Tracey W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the point you made about students liking the option to make a choice is key. I find that through the use of technology students are given more options to choose the method they want to use to expand and share their knowledge. I loved biology when I took it, I can't imagine how much I would like it if I was in your class! Continue with the improvements!

    ReplyDelete