Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Monitoring My GAME Plan Progress

As I continue taking actions toward achieving my goal of truly using my SMART board for what it is intended I have made a decision on what to do with the fetal pig dissection and have been working toward using handheld devices to play a jeopardy game projected on the board.

For the fetal pig dissection, I have decided that during class, the students will need to use their time researching the different parts of the pig and their functions. Once they have completed that task and filled out the packet that accompanies the task, they will then be able to use the laptop computers to start practicing the dissection using the computer program. They will use their class time to practice and they will then be assessed by coming in at a scheduled time to show their proficiency on the SMART board. I decided to require them to do it outside of class time so that they would be encouraged to do the actual dissection during class.

I found out that the social studies department in our school has hand held devices that will indicate which student "buzzed in" first. I plan to use the devices to play a game of Jeopardy. The students will read the answer off of the board and then state the question if they are the one who buzzed in first. This will hopefully add a competitive and fun atmosphere to an otherwise boring set of questions.

As I continue on this journey, I have found that the resources that I need are available, but it takes some digging. There are many very knowledgeable teachers in our building, but I have found that I often get caught up in the business of everyday teaching and do not take the time to tap into the great amount of knowledge that is out there. This project has helped me to do just that. Using the SMART board as it is intended is a never ending project. There are always more or other things that can be done so I hope to continue to search and implement these ideas. I have learned mostly how better to navigate the software that comes with the board, but I still need a lot of practice. I constantly come up with questions about how to accomplish tasks or how better to do them. It is great to have other teachers that can answer questions. I just wish that there was more time in the day that we could collaborate.

7 comments:

  1. Hello, Mark. You have described two activities that your students will probably find engaging. I know Jeopardy variations are always popular with my classes. Will the students have the opportunity to practice manipulating the SmartBoard before their assessment? Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) remind us that assessment should mirror instruction.

    On a different subject: As a fellow resident of northeast Wisconsin, I know your picture isn't Lambeau Field. Which stadium is it?

    Good luck with your GAME plan.

    Becky Polzin

    References:

    Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,
    You pose a great question on whether the students will practice manipulating the SMART board before their assessment. My initial reaction is to say that they do not need it because I feel as though most of the kids know how to use it better than I do. Realistically, though, I think they should be allowed some time to use it during class in order to feel comfortbable taking the assessment. Thank you for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is wonderful that you have made progress with your GAME plan. We have access to the Jeopardy game as well, and the students really enjoy it. It is amazing how much knowledge they retain from playing a simple game.

    Also, I use my Smart board everyday. You are right, there are endless activities to do. Here is a website that my technology coordinator referred me to that may be helpful to you:

    http://exchange.smarttech.com/?WT.ac=SECC_T&L%20_email_0310

    It has several already made lessons to use on your Smart board. Hope it helps! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo Mark!

    Glad to hear you are using your Smart Board. Next year I am hoping to have a Smart Board in my room. I know they are wonderful, but I am not sure how to operate one. I am hoping that our school district will provide some training. Did you recieve any special training?

    Lora K.
    HS English

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark,

    I remember disecting the fetal pig when I was in high school. It would have been a great if the technology was available then as it is now. I really enjoyed working hands on during that unit. There are so many ways that technology can solidify students learning. Best of luck with your game plan!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mark,

    You're idea of integrating Jeopardy is fantastic for differentiation and engagement. Also, I remember dissecting the fetal pig in college (it was gross!) and would have appreciated the use of technology that you're describing in your GAME plan. Integrating different modes of learning will allow your students to make a number of different connections!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lora,
    I have a workshop this summer to learn how to use the board. Better late than never!

    ReplyDelete